Corotoman was the Virginia estate owned by the Carter family from 1653 till 1862. Christ Church was built upon it in the 1730s. For its first seventy-five years Corotoman’s fields, forests, waters, and buildings were worked by black slaves and white indentured servants. But by 1735 the last indentured servants were completing their terms, leaving black slaves as the only bound laborers on the plantation from then until the Civil War.
The histories of the slaves of Corotoman were made available online in 2016 by Patrick Heffernan, Ph.D., a volunteer researcher at Historic Christ Church & Museum. Dr. Heffernan has now complemented those Corotoman Slave Histories by compiling, ordering, and making available this online Corotoman Servant Database. It seeks to record all references to Corotoman indentured servants that have been preserved in historic records.
Not only did the Corotoman indentured servants labor and reside on the same plantation as Christ Church, but some also participated in its very construction. It is fitting that their lives be remembered here.
Go to the Corotoman Servant Database now.